Rebecca Evans, Work Placement Manager shares student tips on how to settle back into university life after a year away.
Congratulations on completing a placement year and welcome back to Leeds!
If you’ve had a year away, particularly if you’ve been working, as opposed to studying, it can be difficult settling back into university life, so here are some tips from other students on how to make the transition as smooth as possible…
- Don’t panic if you don’t settle back in straight away – don’t put too much pressure on yourself it takes awhile to get back into the university way of life
- Read through notes from second year to familiarise yourself with what you covered especially for things like referencing
- Meet up with other returning placement students and organise activities
- Choose modules and a dissertation topic that fit well with the placement you have completed to give yourself a head start
- Consider taking a project from the company as your final year project or dissertation – it will keep communications alive and show the company you are really interested in their work
- Ensure you have enough social interaction – get to know your new course mates, but don’t join 50 societies immediately, it is still your final year
- Don’t let the work ethic slip – be organised with your time and set deadlines. Try to keep the 9-5 structure, it really helps and means you can have weekend off guilt free and approach your assignments like you have projects on placement
- Keep positive and use the confidence you’ve gained in the workplace
- You have an advantage!
- It’s the final push, just go for it and end up where you want to be!
Finally, make the most of the support that is available across campus:
- For support with your studies check out skills@library
- Leeds University Union has many clubs and societies that you can get involved in
- Use support available through the Careers Centre and Leeds for Life to help you reflect and articulate the skills you have gained on placement to enable you to utilise your experiences to help you secure the graduate job you are looking for
- Come to the 12-month placement celebration event on Tuesday 8th October. This is a great opportunity to meet other returning placement students and share your experiences. Look out for your e-mail invite this week!