Two teams of students are representing the University of Leeds in live semi-finals of the national Universities Business Challenge (UBC) competition this week.
UBC UK is an annual simulated business competition open to all UK universities which consists of three rounds. Round 1 took place on-line last autumn, round 2 are a number of semi-finals, and round 3 is the final. During each round, teams act as consultants to make decisions affecting a simulated business and the teams achieving the highest profit at the end of each round progress to the next round of the competition. You can find out more about the competition from our blog post earlier this year.
The Careers Centre sponsored three teams from the University of Leeds to enter the competition this year and we are delighted that two out of the three teams successfully reached the semi-finals. This is a fantastic achievement for them as over 300 teams competed in round 1 of the competition. We encourage students from all schools and programmes to enter and these guys are proof that you don’t have to be studying business to do well in such competitions: One team are all Engineering students and the other team are all Languages students.
The Engineers’ semi-final is at Proctor & Gamble in Newcastle on Thursday 13th March. The students are all in the third year of integrated MEng. programmes and are:
- Matthew Clarke, Aeronautical Aerospace Engineering
- Dominic Cotton (Team Leader), Mechanical Engineering
- Aditi Patel, Mechanical Engineering
- Alistair Rodgers, Aeronautical & Aerospace Engineering
- Robert Tuton, Mechanical Engineering
The Languages students’ semi-final is at the RSA in London on Friday 14th March. The students are all in their final year and are:
- Orsolya Clancey, German and Japanese
- Callum Downs, Arabic and French
- Rachael Fowlie (Team Leader), French and Japanese
- Marcus Overend, Japanese and Management
- Gintare Zemaityte, Japanese and Management
Join us in wishing both teams all the best in their semi-finals! You can follow these and the other semi-finals on Twitter or Facebook by searching for #ubcuk2014