The Careers Service is here to help you make decisions and plan the steps to a bright future. From finding work or further study to working out your interests, skills and aspirations – we can provide you with the expert information, advice and guidance you need.
It doesn’t matter if you are stuck for ideas and don’t know where to start, or if you’re clear on what you want to do and just need some help tweaking your CV; we can help.
Our services are open to all current University of Leeds students, as well as University of Leeds grads and alumni.
How can we help you?
With the help of our expert careers staff, we can give you advice to help you succeed in taking steps towards your desired future. The services we offer to do this are:
- Information – We have a wealth of information and advice on this website to help you – try searching for the information you need first.
- Events – Click here to view our event calendar on MyCareer. We host a variety of workshops, fairs, presentations and other events to enable you to meet with local and national employers and learn key skills to enhance employability.
- Opportunities – Volunteering, internships, placements and graduate roles are advertised here on MyCareer.
- Resources – Find additional resources under the ‘Resources’ tab in MyCareer, including CV feedback, global vacancies and job-seeking advice, virtual interview preparation and more.
Appointments and Peer Support Assistant drop-in
We offer BOTH a drop-in session and a range of appointments to support you with your career-related queries.
If you’re looking for immediate 1:1 support, come and chat to one of our Peer Support Assistants who will be able to give you advice or point you in the right direction for further support. Our drop-in session is 10am-4pm every weekday at 5-7 Cromer Terrace.
If you’re looking for appointments, we offer both online and in-person appointments, available to book on MyCareer. Please do make a note of appointment location when booking and whether it’s online on Microsoft Teams or in-person.
All appointments are released on a rolling basis at 12 noon up to 7 days in advance. This means that every weekday, new appointments will become available for the following week.
- In-faculty appointments – See MyCareer for what’s available in your School or Faculty, but generally these are a useful starting point for employability and placements support.
- Application Support appointments – Want someone to look over your application for a role you’re currently applying for? In this appointment our advisors will give you tips to help you improve your application, to ensure you have the best chance to secure the role you’re applying for. To give you maximum flexibility alongside our drop-in service we have created specific 15-minute appointments tailored to supporting you will all aspects of the application process.
- Finding Your Career Path Appointments – If you need help getting started with your career thinking because you’re not sure what you want to do, you can book one of these appointments with a Careers Consultant. Our appointments are tailored to each individual’s circumstances and carried out by qualified, expert Careers Consultants. No matter where you are in your career journey we are here to help you. These appointments last for 30 minutes and give you time to explore ideas and/or make specific plans.
- Mock Interviews – If you have been offered an interview it is well worth having a trial run first. We can offer mock interviews to give you a realistic practice before the big day. After the interview, or sometimes question by question, we will give you feedback on your answers and tips on how you could improve. Our careers advisers use their wealth of expertise to ask you the right kind of questions to give you the best possible preparation for your interview. However, it is not usually possible to know exactly what kind of questions you will be asked, so we focus on helping you improve how you answer questions and perform during an interview.
- MyCareer Questions – Submit questions online to access help and support from one of our expert advisers. We aim to reply to all questions within 3 working days. Look at our FAQS and search our website before you submit your question as you may be able to find the answer more quickly there.
- Planning Your Career Path – Think you know what you want to do but not too sure how to get there? This appointment offers you the chance to talk through your ideas as our advisors help you figure out the steps you could take.
- Information & Opportunities – Not sure where to look for roles? Or what resources we have that could help? This appointment is there to help you find the right information or resources available to you to help with your next step.