Meet Shabana Hussein, our Employer Liaison Assistant. She is a recent University of Leeds graduate and here she gives us an insight into her role at the Careers Centre.
What is your job at the Careers Centre and what does it involve?
I graduated from Leeds University in 2011 with a BSc Joint Honours in Geography and Management, and I’m now fortunate enough to be back as an employee. Leeds University is a wonderful organisation giving staff the opportunity to develop and excel within their roles.
I work in the Careers Centre, being part of the Employer Team, a group of eight proactive individuals. Continue reading
Here at the Careers Centre, it is our aim to ensure that we help our students and graduates progress with their career planning and skills development. This blog will allow you to follow the experiences of some of your fellow students along with some expert insight and advice from our fantastic staff.
To kick it all off, here are ten things you never knew about the University of Leeds Careers Centre:
- Last academic year we carried out 7732 individual interactions through our drop in service.
- We have had 4895 queries online through our eGuidance system.
- We ran 260 careers events last academic year, and we currently have 148 on our database for semester one. Check them out here.
- Each year the Spark team at the Careers Centre support the creation of 25 new businesses owned and run by Leeds students and graduates.
- All of our Career Consultants are highly experienced and have professional guidance qualifications.
- 11 of our staff are University of Leeds alumni.
- 6 of our staff have run a half marathon.
- 3 of our staff are regular faces on the Leeds music scene.
- 2 of our staff walked 34 miles in under 15 hours in the Llangollen Round Challenge.
- 1 of our staff guided a blind friend on a coast to coast tandem cycle challenge raising £1650 for St Gemma’s Hospice.